New Albany Renewal

New Albany Renewal is intended to serve as a repository for ideas relevant to preserving and restoring historic buildings, cleaning up neighboorhoods, revitalizing downtown, and improving the quality of life in New Albany, Indiana.

Name:
Location: New Albany, Indiana

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Bread and Milk

One of the basics that a neighborhood needs is a grocery store. In New Albany several of our older neighborhoods are served by Daily's 24-Hour Food Mart.

Daily's fills a big need for people who don't have dependable transportation, for older people who aren't up to walking the big stores, and for residents who need something quick and close by.

As long as you don't want fresh produce you can find the basics at Daily's as well as a few items that you might not expect them to carry. The do have balsamic vinegar and anchovies! And where else could you do your grocery shopping in your pajamas and not have anyone so much as bat an eye. (No. It wasn't me shopping in my pajamas.)

Even though I know that my need for bread, milk, and Diet Coke is being met an item in the November/December 2004 issue of Preservation caught my eye.

Joe and Kim Grant, residents of a historic neighborhood in San Diego which had undergone a renaissance bought a rundown liquor store in the still dilapidated adjacent commercial district. After rehabilitating the building they opened Grant's Marketplace a vendor of wines, bread, olive oils, cold cuts, cheeses, coffee, jams, and fresh fruits and vegetables.

I put one of those on my wish list right under ice cream shop.

2 Comments:

Blogger G Coyle said...

Do you remember Wolfe's market? It was great and just what we need again...it closed way back I guess.

6:18 PM  
Blogger na girl said...

I can't remember exactly how long it has been gone. It doesn't seem like very long to me but I guess it has to be at least 10 years ago probably longer.

We never shopped there but we did shop at M. Wolfe's which was strictly a meat market and not a grocery store.

My grandma was off work on Fridays and my mom and grandma would go very other week and buy enough meat for 2 week's meals. It was where my great-grandmother always shopped and might have been a full-service grocery store back in those days.

I wasn't a very frequent customer because I just don't eat much meat but I really miss it when I want a good steak or need a platter of sliced deli meat for sandwiches. I used to order meat trays for lunches at work and everyone would be amazed at what we got for the price and how good it was compared to what we could get from a supermarket.

M. Wolfe's hasn't been gone very long. When the owner died his sons both had established careers and didn't have time to run the business.

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home